Friday, August 1, 2008

Garden Bloggers' Muse Day: We can all do with a laugh



I don't what it is about gardeners and poetry. There seems to be some sort of natural attraction. When I first started my blog, I was enchanted by the idea of Musings, and Muse Days, and all the other diverse versification that goes on in the gardening blogosphere. Some people (yes, I mean you, Benjamin) don't need to wait for a special day but post poems on a regular basis. Fantastic poems, too. I love it: it's like someone passing an unexpected box of chocolates around the office. However, it also makes me ashamed because I read so little poetry, especially by new poets. This month I've chosen an old favourite. It's not a particularly original choice, but it always makes me smile. If you want to see what other people have chosen, hop on over to Sweet Home and Garden Chicago, where Carolyn has details of all the other GBMD participants.




Laughing song

When the green woods laugh with the voice of joy,
And the dimpling stream runs laughing by;
When the air does laugh with our merry wit,
And the green hill laughs with the noise of it;

When the meadows laugh with lively green,
And the grasshopper laughs in the merry scene,
When Mary and Susan and Emily
With their sweet round mouths sing "Ha, ha he!"

When the painted birds laugh in the shade,
Where our table with cherries and nuts is spread:
Come live, and be merry, and join with me,
To sing the sweet chorus of "Ha, ha, he!"


From Songs of Innocence by William Blake